With this web page:
Bear Hunting License
A valid hunting license and a bear permit is required to hunt for bear prior to the firearms season on deer. The cost with this license is:
- Residents $27.00*
- Non-Residents $74.00* (this license covers the whole bear searching period)
- Non-Resident Later Season Allow $40*
In case a non-resident desires to hunt bear through the regular firearms glint reviews period on deer only, a bear that is late-season permit and a legitimate hunting permit is needed.
To trap for bear, a trapping license and bear trapping permit is needed. See Trapping statutory Laws for lots more information
Qualified landowners may hunt bear by themselves land without a large game license, but are expected to have legitimate bear searching license. See landowner that is special.
Bait might be put thirty days ahead of the bear hunting with bait period no later than October 31. Bait areas needs to be cleaned up by November 10. Bait can help help dog hunters and trappers, however it is unlawful to shoot a bear over bait following the close of this bait period.
Hunting if you use bait is understood to be hunting from an observation stand, blind, or any other location that overlooks any bait or meals, except standing plants and foods which have been kept as a consequence of normal agricultural operations or occurrence that is natural.
Bear bait means any animal, plant, or derivative thereof, utilized to attract bear. This doesn’t add packaging or container materials that fall inside the concept of litter under Title 17, В§2263.
An individual might not put any medicinal, poisonous, or stupefying substance to entice any animal, including bear.
Bait is almost certainly not placed to entice, hunt or trap bear that is black:
- The bait is put at the least 50 yards from any travel method in which is available by a regular 2-wheel or drive vehicle that is 4-wheel
- The observation stand, blind, or bait area is plainly labeled by having a 2 inches by 4 inch label with all the title and target for the baiter
- The bait is positioned significantly more than 500 yards from any waste that is solid web site or campground
- The bait is put significantly more than 500 yards from a dwelling that is occupied unless written permission is given by the dog owner or tenant
- Anyone searching from someone else’s stand or blind gets the owner’s authorization.
- Anyone bait that is placing someone else’s land gets the landowner’s authorization (oral or perhaps on paper).
- If putting bait for a wildlife management area, you need to secure a license from MDIFW. To try to get a bear baiting allow, contact the wildlife biologist in your administrative area.
- If putting bait on Public Reserved Land, you’ll want to secure a license through the Bureau of Parks and Lands (for information, call 207-287-3821).
Baiting of animals is forbidden in State Parks and Historic web web Sites.
Legal Hunting Gear
Bear can be taken by utilization of rifle, handguns, muzzleloader, shotguns (with slugs just rather than bigger than 10 measure), bow and arrow (with a draw that is minimum of 35 lbs.) or crossbow (with the absolute minimum draw fat of 100 lbs.). The application of a firearms with .17 or .22 caliber rimfire cartridges, or even a shotgun with shotloads to hunt bear is forbidden.
Bear Hunting Prohibitions
Someone cannot, within 50 yards of a baitsite and without written authorization fromthe individual who keeps the bait web site:
- search, trap, molest, or harass bear
- to push out a dog or dogs to hunt bear
- train dogs on bearIt is unlawful to hunt bear, or launch dogs for that function, within 500 yards of a solid waste disposal website
It really is illegal to hunt bear, or launch dogs for that function, within 500 yards of a solid waste disposal site
Searching with Dogs
It’s illegal to:
- usage dogs to hunt bear through the available firearm period on deer
- usage more than 6 dogs at any one time and energy to search for bear
- Kill or wound a bear that is held or treed at bay by another people dog or dogs until you have actually permission through the individual conducting the search
An individual might not hunt bear after having killed one by searching and could not trap bear after having killed one by trapping, throughout the available period of the calendar 12 months. An individual can destroy and register two bears, one by searching and one by trapping.
Bear Hunting with a Maine Guide
Nonresidents must use, and search when you look at the presence of, a resident Maine guide to be able to hunt bear with dogs. If the nonresident is an authorized Maine guide, they may hunt bear with dogs by themselves, and will guide residents, but cannot guide nonresidents.
The full total quantity of consumers with a guide that is licensed maybe maybe perhaps not go beyond five.
Laws Regarding Registration
Ahead of enrollment, bears might be chop up for simplicity of transport, but all righ components ( aside from the viscera and rib cage) should be presented as well as in such a fashion that the intercourse of this animal may be determined.
Present bear should have each component demonstrably labeled using the title and target of the individual whom registered the pet additionally the 12 months for which it had been registered.
Note: Hunters have to eliminate a premolar tooth from the bear they harvest and supply the tooth at enrollment (guidelines offered by the enrollment section). Hunters will likely be notified of this chronilogical age of the bear they harvested regarding the Bear Hunting web web page of this MDIFW web site before the beginning of the next bear searching period (belated August).
For informative data on buying, attempting to sell or bartering pets, see Prohibition Regarding Selling of crazy pets.
For informative data on tracking wounded keep, deer or moose with dogs, see Leashed puppy monitoring License.
2020 Bear Hunting Seasons and Bag Limits
|period||Dates||Daily Bag & Possession Limit|
|General Hunting||31 – November 28, 2020||2 may be taken annually – 1 by hunting, 1 by trapping|
|Hunting with Dogs||September 14 – October 30, 2020|
|Hunting with Bait Bait can be placed August 1, 2020||August 31 – September 26, 2020|
|Trapping||September 1 – October 31, 2020|
|Youth Bear Day||August 29, 2020 august|
All times are inclusive except that hunting is forbidden on Sunday.
See Laws related to Hunting gear for informative data on making use of crossbows. Additional information on Bear Trapping.